Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Mary Letter Day 11


Blessed are you, Lord, the God of Israel; you have come to your people and set them free.
You have raised up for us a mighty savior, born of the house of your servant David.
Through your holy prophets you promised of old to save us from our enemies, from the hands of all who hate us. To show mercy to our forebears, and to remember your holy covenant.
This was the oath you swore to our father Abraham, to set us free from the hands of our enemies,
free to worship you without fear, holy and righteous before you all the days of our life.
And you, child, shall be called the prophet of the Most High, for you will go before the Lord to prepare the way, to give God’s people knowledge of salvation by the forgiveness of their sins.
In the tender compassion of our God the dawn from on high shall break upon us, to shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death, and to guide our feet into the way of peace. Luke 1:68-79
Dear Aunt Elizabeth,
Momma told me the good news! Congratulations on safely delivering that wonderful miracle baby boy! I am so happy for you! I wish I could run right there and be with you but it seems I am not going anywhere right now. At least not without a plan. Papa and Joseph have been plotting a scheming after the way our neighbors and the elders have acted towards me. We will be married very quietly in a few days, it seems. No party, no nothing. And the men are planning to get us away from here safely, which is becoming a very difficult task.
 Momma came home from the market in tears yesterday. The women had said all sorts of horrible things to her, called her a failure and me terrible names. They threatened me and the baby. Can you believe it? Why would faithful, God fearing people act like that? I know I present a problem, but to go on the attack? And my poor mother is so good. She doesn't deserve this at all. I feel so bad all of the time for putting my family in this situation. Yet, really, it is God who has put me here, in these circumstances. I have to believe God will see us through.
Momma and I have made you some things which we sent with cousin Ruth who should arrive any time now. Please kiss that little one for me. I am so happy for you! Remember Momma and me right now in your prayers. This is too heavy a weight for her to bear.
love always,
Mary

No comments: