Saturday, December 21, 2019

Mary Letter Day 22 - Advent 4

Advent 4 Year A December 22nd, 2019


Now the birth of Jesus the Messiah took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. Her husband Joseph, being a righteous man and unwilling to expose her to public disgrace, planned to dismiss her quietly. But just when he had resolved to do this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” All this took place to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet:

“Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and they shall name him Emmanuel,”

which means, “God is with us.” When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took her as his wife, but had no marital relations with her until she had borne a son; and he named him Jesus. Matthew 1:18-24

Dear Papa and Momma,

We are staying overnight with Uncle Daniel on the outskirts of the city. The night is very cool and dry and we were able to sit out with him and listen to his stories, wrapped in blankets to keep off the chill. He told us of growing up among these hills, tending the sheep for his father and learning his gardening skills from his mother. He has fruit and olive trees across his yard, and a magnificent garden, even in this season. We ate so well that I fell asleep while he was talking! I was so embarrassed when they woke me up. Joseph and Daniel were very kind about it all.

I am writing before I slide into bed. I am so weary, Momma. Papa and Momma, Joseph is a wonderful husband, patient and forgiving. He makes me laugh when I am afraid and doesn't shame or ridicule me. He is so tender with me and everyone he encounters. I am glad, despite all of the trials, that he is my husband. He has taken on an enormous responsibility - me! And he has shouldered God burden with grace. Please pray for us as tomorrow we enter the city. We have not heard from his relations, so we do not know where we will stay. Joseph says he has saved money for a hotel, just in case. I am excited about the possibility of staying in a hotel!

love always,

Mary



Collect
Purify our conscience, Almighty God, by your daily visitation, that your Son Jesus Christ, at his coming, may find in us a mansion prepared for himself; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: