Monday, December 23, 2019

Mary Letter Day 24 - Christmas Eve


God is our refuge and strength,
   a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
   though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
though its waters roar and foam,
   though the mountains tremble with its tumult.
         
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
   the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of the city; it shall not be moved;
   God will help it when the morning dawns.
The nations are in an uproar, the kingdoms totter;
   he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;
   the God of Jacob is our refuge.
           
Come, behold the works of the Lord;
   see what desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
   he breaks the bow, and shatters the spear;
   he burns the shields with fire.
‘Be still, and know that I am God!
   I am exalted among the nations,
   I am exalted in the earth.’
The Lord of hosts is with us;
   the God of Jacob is our refuge. Psalm 46


Dear Auntie,

Joseph and I arrived in the city and it was crawling with people. The noise and the crowds made me sick. We looked all over for a place to stay since Joseph's relatives had no room. Everywhere we checked there was no vacancy! People slammed doors in our faces. How rude they were! One kind innkeeper named Esau, took pity on us and brought us into the stable. His wife, Leah, made us beds of straw and covered them with soft blankets. I cried with gratitude and exhaustion. I will forever remember their compassion in this horrid sea of selfishness and greed.

This morning when I woke I felt very odd. Soon I realized that the pains had begun. Gentle and irregular at first, they are now coming more often and more powefully. I am so scared and so wish to be home with Momma! You didn't tell me the birth pangs would be so awful, Auntie. I keep breathing as you taught me and try to sing or pray the songs of King David in between. Leah, the inn keeper's wife has sent Joseph to get the wise women and a midwife. She has been so kind and helpful. She knew he was getting more and more frightened as the day has gone on. She promises me there will be a baby before long and reminds me that first babies always take their time. She also told me that I will have the help of several women very soon. They are all strangers to me! I wanted you and Momma by my side through this!

Oh, Aunt Elizabeth, please pray for me. I am so far from home, and in a barn no less. Nothing is familiar and nothing is comfortable. I cling to my faith and all your words of support these past months. I am so afraid!

love,

Mary









No comments: