Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Mary Letter Day 32 - The Holy Name


When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us." So they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the child lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child; and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them. After eight days had passed, it was time to circumcise the child; and he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb. Luke 2:15-21

Dear Auntie,

It has been quite a day! I am so overwhelmed and in wonder. Today was the time to circumcise the child. I wanted to wait until we were home, but Joseph felt we better follow the law. His family here includes several rabbis and they made the arrangements for us. The women of Joseph's family  made a wonderful spread of food. I have never experienced the ritual. I have to admit I was a bit horrified! I kept my wits about me, but wanted to grab my baby from the brutality! I know it is what is done, but the reality was so different! The women were very understanding and surrounded me and held my hands. His name will be Jesus, just as the angel had told us. It feels so strange to be doing all of this so far from home, so far from my family.

I have to admit that Joseph's people have been very kind and understanding. They have so many people staying with them, they could not put us up, but they have helped us in so many other ways. Today was one of them, a huge party with delicious food and wonderful music. They hired musicians! They did not have to do that but they have been so very generous.

Everyday this motherhood is wonderful and a total surprise. I am so blessed to be Jesus's mother and so terrified that I will do something wrong. He is so precious and to be so important. I am just a young woman, with no training and no real station in life. But here we are. And God has helped us throughout, so I guess we can keep going day to day, surprised and overwhelmed in equal measure.

Much love,


Mary

No comments: