Saturday, December 28, 2019

Mary Letter Day 28



Thus says the Lord:
A voice is heard in Ramah,
lamentation and bitter weeping.
Rachel is weeping for her children;
she refuses to be comforted for her children,
because they are no more.
Thus says the Lord:
Keep your voice from weeping,
and your eyes from tears;
for there is a reward for your work,
says the Lord:
they shall come back from the land of the enemy;
there is hope for your future,
says the Lord:
your children shall come back to their own country. Jeremiah 31:15-17


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

Some days I am so afraid and have only strangers to comfort me. The city is a place of rumors and fear. I am told it is not safe for me, or any woman to walk the streets alone. I am told never to go outdoors at night, ever. And the newest rumor is that Herod seeks a boy king recently born in this city! Infant kings are born in palaces, I told them, but they still insist that I keep inside. Who is going to look for a baby prince inside a cattle stall, I ask you?

Some nights I sit outside in the cool air and sing to this beautiful boy by the light of the moon. I don't care what people say. I am less afraid with him beside me. I protect him, of course, and keep him bundled against the cols, but he loves the wind on his face, and the moon and the stars. He will often gaze up and reach to the stars, as if he can touch them. I believe he can some nights.

Joseph is a wonderful father. He is so gentle with Jesus and me. He isn't afraid to clean up after a diaper! And he is so helpful, watching our baby when I need to rest. I hear Joseph talking to the boy, telling him funny stories and all about out lives. Joseph is also willing to run to the market stalls and buy our food. We have many gifts of food, as well. Despite the fears of this city, people have been quite generous and kind. There are soldiers everywhere, turning things upside down, yet in the midst of all of this, we can still sit out by the moonlight and remember all the ways God has cared for us and brought us to this place.

love always,

Mary



No comments: