Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Asking

In the morning, as he was returning to the city, he became hungry. And seeing a fig tree by the wayside, he went to it and found nothing on it but only leaves. And he said to it, “May no fruit ever come from you again!” And the fig tree withered at once.

When the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, “How did the fig tree wither at once?” And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.” Matthew 21:18-22


I left Sitka Sunday evening and arrived in San Francisco late morning Monday. After a day of mostly sleepless travel, I was cranky and weary, wanting only for a warm shower and a good rest. That I had last night. Before I went to bed, I got to visit with an old friend and stand outside under the stars. We don't often see stars in Sitka because of the clouds. It was as if the heavens were reminding me of God's great promises and my place within the heart of God.

Jesus was hungry and like many of us, it caused him to be cranky. When the poor fig tree didn't have any fruit he cursed the fig tree. I think it is such a human moment in the life of Jesus. His human need makes him angry. We can all relate. The anger of the son of God withers the tree immediately. Understanding that we can come to God with our needs, both out of joy and wonder and also out of hurt and anger, is a great thing. Jesus says if we ask God will provide. God will hear us and respond to our needs.

Today I ask God to give me the faith to boldly ask. May we feel secure in our faith so that we can lay every human need before God. May we never stop talking to God with both our dreams and our sorrows. And may our faithfulness be a sign of hope to those around us.

No comments: