Monday, December 30, 2013

Shepherds

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

He leads me beside still waters.

He restores my soul.

He leads me in paths of righteousness

for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil,

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff,

they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies;

you anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me

all the days of my life,

and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord

forever. Psalm 23


From Joseph's Diary

There are incredible joys in being a father. The little boy reaches out his hand and takes hold, he leans into me when I hold him and seems to smile look at him. At the same time, I worry a lot about what is next for us as nothing is yet clear. The other night, after the shepherds came, I was so filled with hope and promise. They told us wondrous things and treated this little baby as if he was a king. And yet, as we continue to live here, day to day, our funds are running dry, we have no resolution yet, and I cannot seem to find work to help out. Mary is doing her best and the local women have been fantastic, but I still worry - a lot.

The shepherds reminded me of the famous psalm of King David. David had been a shepherd boy out in the fields and he made a song about our God being our shepherd. I learned it when I was very young. Mary and I have been reciting it and singing it whenever we get fearful and anxious. It seems to help a good deal and the baby likes it. I have so much responsibility and do not want to let them down. I try t trust God in everything but there are days when that is very hard. A strange city and no direction home is making it hard to be calm and trusting. So I will pray since there is nothing else we can do today.

No comments: