Sunday, December 15, 2013

My Soul Proclaims - Advent Letters Day 9

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior; *
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
the Almighty has done great things for me, and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him *
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm, *
he has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones, *
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things, *
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel, *
for he has remembered his promise of mercy,
The promise he made to our fathers, *
to Abraham and his children for ever. Luke 1:46-55



Dear sweet cousin Elizabeth,

We made it out of town, just barely, although as the dark settled in we could hear them shouting curses from behind. We did not turn around, but kept our heads down and move along. Slowly we made it to his cousin's house, where I am writing from. The candle is almost out and the house, high in the hills, is very cold. We will huddle together for warmth by the hearth, although it has already been banked for the night. Glad I packed a few extra blankets. I am thirsty all the time and we had to stop a good deal so that I could sit a while. Riding the donkey is more uncomfortable than walking, although Joseph insists I ride.

I imagine you bouncing your boy on your lap, singing and laughing with him. I pray that I may know my child this way, that I may wallow in love and sweetness. Right now everything is a chore. Elizabeth, when we left Momma was crying. She is so afraid for us. Would you promise me, if we don't return, if something happens, you will go and comfort her? Will you promise to take your little one and remind her of God's promises. I fear this will not be a simple journey. There have already been twists and turns along the way.

Pray for us as we carry this holy burden and wonder what God has in store for us next.

All my love,

Mary


Stir up your power, O Lord, and with great might come among us; and, because we are sorely hindered by our sins, let your bountiful grace and mercy speedily help and deliver us; through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom, with you and the Holy Spirit, be honor and glory, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: