Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Remember - The Advent Letters Day 12

Remember your word to your servant,

in which you have made me hope.

This is my comfort in my affliction,

that your promise gives me life.

The insolent utterly deride me,

but I do not turn away from your law.

When I think of your rules from of old,

I take comfort, O Lord.

Hot indignation seizes me because of the wicked,

who forsake your law.

Your statutes have been my songs

in the house of my sojourning.

I remember your name in the night, O Lord,

and keep your law.

This blessing has fallen to me,

that I have kept your precepts.
Psalm 119:49-56


Dearest Elizabeth,

Today was a hard day on the road. I wanted to step out of my skin, return to being a child, do anything but bear this burden. My stomach hurts and my body aches, all the time. The foolish donkey decided today was the day to throw me off. I wasn't hurt badly, some scrapes and bruises, but I could barely walk after that. I sat on a rock and cried like a baby. I know it's selfish and so childish but I couldn't help myself. I sobbed for my Momma. We continued on for a little ways but stopped early today to look for a safe shelter for the night. We were dusty and bedraggled and Joseph was at wit's end. He was so upset when I fell and worried that I was terribly hurt. After my silly loud crying there wasn't much to say.

Elizabeth, Joseph did the kindest thing tonight. He sat by the bed and recited some of the psalms of King David. Ones about trusting and taking comfort in God's pr9omises. I remembered some of them too and joined him in reciting them. I was able to relax and think I will find some rest tonight. I had to wash up in a trough but it felt good to have some clean skin again. The dust is thick and unrelenting. I have yet to see much of the road ahead since so many are traveling to Bethlehem too. So much noise, dust and crowds. I feel so out of place but am hanging on as best I can.

I will keep you in my prayers if you will pray for me. I wish I wasn't so scared but I cannot help myself.

All my love,

Mary

No comments: