Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Least of These - Advent Letters Day 15

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’" Matthew 25:31-40

Dear Elizabeth,

Today was a rough one but we made it through. The road took us over some rough high hills and there were lots of pebbles to slip and slide on. The donkey didn't like it much at all, but Joseph wanted me seated as we staggered through those hills. It was slow going and I am very sore from the day. It was very late when we finally got to a place where we could stay. The people were very rude and unkind to us, unwilling to even warm us some soup. We dug into our disappearing store of food and ate some fruit and bread, Nothing tasted quite as good as yesterday. We are so exhausted, and quite cold since they weren't willing to light us a fire.

As soon as we finished our humble supper, Joseph said a few night prayers and fell into a dead sleep. He is sleeping now, but I can't seem to sleep at all. Joseph looks so peaceful, but I know he worries a lot too. It is as if my mind is racing and every worry and fear flashes before my eyes. It doesn't help that this little guy night time to be most active. I am going to try to rest now, close my eyes and think of sweet things like home. Staying with these stingy people, I hope I can be more generous and kind when I have the chance. It seems as all the people we encounter are rough and rude. I pray that God will give me the grace to open my heart, even to strangers. I am learning so much about the world, although some of the lessons are very hard.

Much love

Mary

No comments: