Friday, December 13, 2013

Hens and Broods - Advent Letters Day 7

div>
“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’” Matthew 23:37-29

Dear Elizabeth,

I grow rounder and more unwieldy with every day and am confined to the house. At might I stand outside with my Dad and look at the stars. The night air is cool these nights and it feels so good on my always sticky skin. I try to get comfortable during the day, reading, sewing or helping with the chores, but nothing is comfortable. It seems I am watched all the time. The other night it was very breezy and we sat out, looking at the stars singing old songs. Daddy started humming the lullaby he always sang to me when I was little. It made me feel safe and secure. Do you remember that one, the one about the hens and chicks? It tells how our God always wants to keep us safe, remember? It brought peace to my heart, at least for a time. Momma came out and sat with us when she heard Daddy singing. I think she had a moment of peace too.

Joseph has borrowed a donkey so that I might ride part of the way to Bethlehem. His uncle offered it to us for our journey. It is old and very cranky but it is better than walking the whole way. I have never been so far away from home. Joseph has been to Bethlehem many times, since he has family there, but he has never gone with a pregnant wife! He is very nervous, so he puts all his energy into planning this trip so all will go well. Trusting God is hard for him, seeing as how the angel never said how hard this all would be. Joseph is good and faithful, but scared, like the rest of us.

Elizabeth, try to go slow and not do too much. Momma is worried that you will wear yourself out with your little one. I suspect you are having a blast and everyone is willing to help out. Write to me some time. The days get very long and lonely.

Much love,

Mary

No comments: