Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Serving - Advent Letters Day 5

Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, “The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat, so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger. They do all their deeds to be seen by others. For they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, and they love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues and greetings in the marketplaces and being called rabbi by others. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ. The greatest among you shall be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. Matthew 23:1-12

O Elizabeth I am so happy for you!

I got word yesterday that your boy had been born healthy and strong and that you were fine too. Momma was crying with joy when she got the news. She came in and told me and we cried and laughed together. It was the first time in a long time that she has held me close. When she did my little one jumped up to greet her. She felt it and her eyes got real big in surprise. I think she is softening and getting used to the whole idea. But she is still overhwlemed and scared for me. She tells me I will understand one day when I am a mother. I tried to tell her I already understand that my body has shown me that everything I am and do is in service to this little one. She is afraid because so many do not live through the birthing. She had been so afraid for you, Elizabeth, because of your age. I am young and strong and still she is afraid.

Joseph is making arrangements for our journey. He is afraid too. I thought God would surround me with cheerful, supportive people during all of this. I have days when the challenges are too great. Oh, I love carrying this little boy, don't get me wrong, but the world is such a cruel place. when they have heard the stories Joseph and I tell about angels they think us arrogant and mad. They think we are putting on airs. If they only knew what a sacrifice this is. We would never have chosen these roles, these burdens. I pray a lot when I get scared. The only thing I know to do some times is to pray.

I am still working on the gift for little John. Next time we see each other I will bring it with me. I hope we will both be carrying our sweet little ones in our arms together. God bless you all, dear Elizabeth!

much love

Mary

No comments: