Friday, December 20, 2013

My People - Advent Letters Day 14


The word of the Lord of hosts came to me, saying: Thus says the Lord of hosts: I am jealous for Zion with great jealousy, and I am jealous for her with great wrath. Thus says the Lord: I will return to Zion, and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem; Jerusalem shall be called the faithful city, and the mountain of the Lord of hosts shall be called the holy mountain. Thus says the Lord of hosts: Old men and old women shall again sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each with staff in hand because of their great age. And the streets of the city shall be full of boys and girls playing in its streets. Thus says the Lord of hosts: Even though it seems impossible to the remnant of this people in these days, should it also seem impossible to me, says the Lord of hosts? Thus says the Lord of hosts: I will save my people from the east country and from the west country; and I will bring them to live in Jerusalem. They shall be my people and I will be their God, in faithfulness and in righteousness. Zechariah 8:1-8


Dear Elizabeth,

This was a better day than the one before. There was a light breeze as we traveled today and the road was not as crowded as it had been. Joseph suggested we walk slowly and stop often, and it went more smoothly than I could have hoped. I think the donkey enjoyed stopping more often too, and was more cooperative than usual. The fruit and bread we bought in Nablas were very fresh and tasty, as were the olives we had packed from home. I got a little teary eating the olives and thinking of Momma and Poppa. Joseph took my hand and promised we would get home again soon, we would see our people again.

Along the road we met a little boy with a few straggly sheep. He stopped and ran over to me and threw his arms around me. I asked him if he knew us, but he said no. He told me that he knew that God loves me very much and he wanted me to know that. I couldn't help but smile and laugh. After missing my family as we lunched, this sweet little boy was prophesizing of God's love. He was so honest and sincere, it made me so glad. The boy skipped off smiling with his little flock, and Joseph and I laughed with joy. It made our steps a little lighter as we made our way across the rocky ground.

Tomorrow the road get steeper, and there will be some big hills to climb. I think we can rest tonight with happy images of a smiling little boy with a great promise. Still missing my parents greatly but knowing that things will be alright on the morrow.

All my love,

Mary



No comments: