Sunday, December 22, 2013

Do Not Be Afraid - Advent Letters Day 16


Now the birth of Jesus the Messiah took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. Her husband Joseph, being a righteous man and unwilling to expose her to public disgrace, planned to dismiss her quietly. But just when he had resolved to do this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." All this took place to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet:

"Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel,"
which means, "God is with us." When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took her as his wife, but had no marital relations with her until she had borne a son; and he named him Jesus.
Matthew 1:18-25


Dear Libbet,

remember when I couldn't say your name right and I called you that? You would call me Mare since that is what I called myself then. I remember how much fun it was to visit you when I was small. You would let me do whatever I wanted as long as I didn't tell Momma and Daddy. Though long summer days when I could run barefoot and climb trees seem so long ago now. Everything is so cumbersome, I am so awkward, and everything is a big negotiation. Last night was a good example. The longest night of the year and we had to haggle to get a room. It took hours and I was frozen to the bone by the time we found a place.

We are getting very close to Bethlehem. Each village we pass is bigger and more crowded. The people are cranky with so many tourists and the prices they charge for everything is outrageous! We are a captive audience and have to ay what is demanded. The babe has been quieter today and seems to have moved down very low. I feel like I am waddling along when I walk. Joseph is afraid we won't make it back. At this point I am not afraid of not getting home, I just want all of this to be over! The big city looms in the distance and you the smell of people and animals packed together is overwhelming. I guess I am just whining but some of this trip has been a huge pain.

I miss you terribly and long for those simple old days when we would run in the fields and wade in the river. I hope you are playing with your little boy. I will spoil him when he comes to stay with me, just like you did for me!

much love,

Mare

The Collect

Purify our conscience, Almighty God, by your daily visitation, that your Son Jesus Christ, at his coming, may find in us a mansion prepared for himself; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.


No comments: