Thursday, December 12, 2013

Be Still - Advent Letters Day 6

Fret not yourself because of evildoers;

be not envious of wrongdoers!

For they will soon fade like the grass

and wither like the green herb.

Trust in the Lord, and do good;

dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.

Delight yourself in the Lord,

and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the Lord;

trust in him, and he will act.

He will bring forth your righteousness as the light,

and your justice as the noonday.

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him;

fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way,

over the man who carries out evil devices!

Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath!

Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.

For the evildoers shall be cut off,

but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land.

In just a little while, the wicked will be no more;

though you look carefully at his place, he will not be there.

But the meek shall inherit the land. Psalm 37: 1-11



Dear Elizabeth,

I spent the whole day and night hiding in my room. Some men had come to the house and talked to my parents. They were shouting and very angry with them. At some point Joseph arrived and told the men to go away. There was a great argument and I was so afraid. I could hear Momma crying but they would not let her speak. Daddy was very clear as was Joseph. Finally they went away. After it was all done, they all came into my room and told me to keep to myself and not to go out any more. The men from the temple had come. They had a meeting a decided I was to be stoned because of my sin. They thought that Joseph should be punished too, but they had not decided yet how. I will have to stay hidden away until we go to Bethlehem. Momma said if I even go outside to relieve myself they might snatch me up and take me. Elizabeth, I am so frightened. Joseph is a wreck. Before he left he hugged me and told me he was getting everything ready and we would leave very soon. He really does love and care for me. But it is all so scary!

I was so overwhelmed after it all that I threw myself on my bed and cried. I cried so long and so hard that I must have worn myself out. I slept for a few hours in the middle of the day. Momma brought me my supper and Daddy came in and read me the words of King David. They love mw well, and want to trust that God is in this, but I could see how weary and sad they are. Sometimes it is all too much. Elizabeth, would you ask your community to pray for us? We need to get out of town and keep this baby safe. Please kiss your "boys" for me. Oh how I wish this was easier. I know you understand how complicated this is and thinking of you always helps me make it through the day. God bless you!

love

Mary

No comments: