Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Steadfast

Be patient, therefore, sisters and brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient about it, until it receives the early and the late rains. You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. Do not grumble against one another, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door. As an example of suffering and patience, sisters and brothers, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:7-11

From Joseph's Diary

These winter nights have been long and I have had dreams that trouble me. It is probably from sleeping is a strange place and the noise of all these animals that bothers my sleeping mind. It could also be the worry for Mary and Jesus. I cannot help myself, I feel so responsible and so useless most of the time. The dreams come and go, like images from my past, of people long gone. So far, no messages from God. I am trying to be a solid, strong father, but I rally don't know what to do in this strange place.

Yesterday I went to see an old uncle who I met when I was a child. He was very kind, and gave me food to take back to Mary. He also suggested that I remember the stories of the prophets, the stories of the ancient ones who were blessed by God. They all had troubles, trouble greater than mine, and God brought them through, time after time. He made me laugh and smile, telling me stories of my father in their youth, and the foolish things they did. He reminded me that these troubles will pass. He was a great comfort and I realize this isolation makes it hard to find those who can help calm my spirit. One doesn't appreciate the real comfort of the familiar and family until they are not available.

I will endeavor to be strong and steadfast. I want to trust God in every moment but sometimes I am weak. God makes me strong for this day and the days ahead.

No comments: