Saturday, December 7, 2013

Paying Up - The Advent Letters

Then the Pharisees went and plotted how to entangle him in his words. And they sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that you are true and teach the way of God truthfully, and you do not care about anyone's opinion, for you are not swayed by appearances. Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?” But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, “Why put me to the test, you hypocrites? Show me the coin for the tax.” And they brought him a denarius. And Jesus said to them, “Whose likeness and inscription is this?” They said, “Caesar's.” Then he said to them, “Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.” When they heard it, they marveled. And they left him and went away. Matthew 22:15-22

Today I am taking on a new challenge for this blog. My goal during Advent, is to write letters from Mary as she awaits the birth of her child, Jesus.


Dear Auntie Elizabeth,

you are the only one who will listen to me these days. I am huge, there is no hiding it and the people in our village just shake their heads. I am a shame to my parents. They are sympathetic but no longer go to the temple for their shame. Joseph has tried to work but most people, the ones who happily employed him before, now hem and haw and have excuses. It feels like they all just want us to disappear. Top it all off, a note came, slid under our door, that we should go register and pay taxes. Joseph is expected to go to Bethlehem. What horrible timing! We have so little to travel on. His savings are nearly gone. It is hard not to be afraid. You, Elizabeth, seems so calm with all that is happening. Do people stare at you like they stare at me? What does the doctor say about Zechariah's throat?

I miss you so much and wish we could be together for the delivery. It looks like we will have to make our way to Bethlehem, and we may not get home in time to have the baby here. Momma would rather keep the whole thing under wraps, but she has promised to help me. The midwife has seen me and says all is well. She shakes her head too and talks behind my back. Pray for me dear cousin. I am so cranky and sensitive these days. Are you very emotional too? I know I have God's amazing promise, as do you, but the day to day living gets harder every day. Some people think I am trash and others think I belong put away.

Please write to me and I will try to write every day. Joseph is helpless when I start to cry, and I cry a lot these days for no good reason.

much love
Mary

Almighty God, give us grace to cast away the works of darkness, and put on the armor of light, now in the time of this mortal life in which your Son Jesus Christ came to visit us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious majesty to judge both the living and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.


No comments: