Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Love's Command - Advent Letters Day 4

But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 22:34-40

Dear Cousin,

I hope you are well and that carrying a child is not too hard for you. I am young and this is still a huge trial for me. I don't know how you do it. I guess it helps to have a husband by your side, even if he can't say anything he can hold you when you get scared and smile and laugh as the baby moves. Joseph is my husband but will not dwell with me until the child has come. He thinks it best that we live separately. It means I am in my parents house, treated like a child most of the time. Oh, they love me, but they cannot hide their concern and shame. They want to believe my story but don't think much of Joseph these days. He tries so hard, he works all the time and I want more than anything to make him proud. Though I would be much happier if he would just be around to hold me and to listen. It's so complicated. My girlfriends think we are intimate, and come around looking for details. They still live with their parents too and want some exciting stuff which I can't tell them. They think the truth is just a made up story to pretend nothing happened between us. Well, nothing did happen with Joseph but they just don't believe me!

The world grows colder as winter settles in here. I have spent some time helping Momma preserve the fruits and vegetables that we had in the garden. She set aside some food for us to take when we leave for our journey. I wish we didn't have to travel. I am so awkward, but it can't be helped they say. I think Momma will breathe a sigh of relief when I go.

Please take care of yourself! I miss you and pray we can see each other before long!

love

Mary

The Collect

Merciful God, who sent your messengers the prophets to preach repentance and prepare the way for our salvation: Give us grace to heed their warnings and forsake our sins, that we may greet with joy the coming of Jesus Christ our Redeemer; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: