Thursday, December 24, 2020

Christmas - Mary Letter - Day 27


In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. All went to their own towns to be registered. Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David. He went to be registered with Mary, to whom he was engaged and who was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for her to deliver her child. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn. In that region there were shepherds living in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for see-- I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace among those whom he favors!" When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us." So they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the child lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child; and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them. Luke 2:1-20

Dear Mama,

I have such wonderful and surprising news! Please don't be disappointed, but the little boy was ready to be born into the world and he's here! He is perfect and healthy, and causing quite a stir. Our hostess, Rachel, has been fussing over us like you would Mama, and her husband, is acting like a proud grandpa! 

Here's what happened. Yesterday, when I woke there was a great rush of water. I was terrified as the wise women had warned me that might happen at the beginning of labor. Joseph has been by my side the whole time, except when he went to get the wise women and when they shooed him away to do their work. The pains began early afternoon and grew steadily through the evening. I tried not to cry out but I couldn't help it. The good news is that in a stable there is plenty of other noise. The cows would respond loudly when I cried out! Just when I thought I couldn't stand it anymore, late in the night, they told me to push. It was so quick after that I hardly remember. There he was, beautiful and perfect, crying out and reaching for me! They cleaned him, wrapped him up and handed this wonderful child to me. I feel so excited and terrified all at once.

Oh, Mama, I am so blessed and so releived but so sad you are not here with me. The gift that this child is and will be is hard to imagine. Shortly after he was born, a little shepherd boy came to the stable's entrance. He said that angels had visited and told him to come here! Can you believe it? I invited him in and in poured six more shepherds, sheep in tow, who wanted to see the child! Joseph and I were overwhelmed by the story they told. The angels told them this baby was the Messiah, a gift of love and peace to the whole world. Rachel heard the commotion and tried to shoo them away, but when she heard the story she cried with joy. 

We haven't slept much, but have been well tended to and fed. I can barely sleep because I want to hold him close every minute. Oh, Mama, I cannot wait for you and Papa to see him!

All my love,

Mary


No comments: