Friday, December 18, 2020

Mary Letter - Day 20


1 I waited patiently upon the LORD; * 
you stooped to me and heard my cry. 
2 You lifted me out of the desolate pit, out of the mire and clay; * 
you set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure. 
3 You put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; * 
many shall see, and stand in awe, and put their trust in the LORD. 
4 Happy are they who trust in the LORD! * 
they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods. 
5 Great things are they that you have done, O LORD my God! 
how great your wonders and your plans for us! * 
there is none who can be compared with you. 
6 Oh, that I could make them known and tell them! * 
but they are more than I can count. 
7 In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure * 
(you have given me ears to hear you); 
8 Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required, * 
and so I said, “Behold, I come. 
9 In the roll of the book it is written concerning me: * 
‘I love to do your will, O my God; your law is deep in my heart.'” 
10 I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation; * 
behold, I did not restrain my lips; and that, O LORD, you know. 
11 Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart; 
I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance; * 
I have not concealed your love and faithfulness 
from the great congregation. 
12 You are the LORD; do not withhold your compassion from me; * 
let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever, 
13 For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me; 
my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see; * 
they are more in number than the hairs of my head, 
and my heart fails me. 
14 Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me; * 
O LORD, make haste to help me. Psalm 40:1-14

Dear Elizabeth,

Well, life is full of surprises and challenges. We stayed another day with our wonderful hosts and set off after night fall. The night was cloudy and we lost our way for a time. I chose to walk, since the donkey ride was making me a bit sick to my stomach. We try to retrace our steps and I tripped in the dark and fell down. I admit I fell to pieces and started to cry! I wasn't hurt, just exhausted and infuriated with how hard this whole trip is. Why do we have to sneak around like criminals? Anyway, Joseph got me to my feet and comforted me as best as he could. We sat in the dark trying to figure out how to get back to the right path. A young shepherd must have heard my wailing. She came out of the darkness, leading her few sheep, like an angel appearing just as we needed one. She share some water with us and lead us to the right path. Despite all my bellyaching, our God really does "lift me out of the desolate pit."

We made our way. much delayed and worn to a frazzle, as the morning light was breaking. Naomi and Jacob were waiting by the gate, and concerned for our welfare, they came running once they saw us on the road. They embraced us and fed us and put us right to bed. Naomi has called her wise women to check me later, since my time of delivery could be near. I do not plan to have this baby away from home and from Mama! I fully expect that we will make it back in time, but I go along with all her fussing, since they are so kind and loving. I am meeting cousins and family I did not every meet before, and am seeing the blessings in this wide circle of support. And privately, I am ashamed how easily I fall apart and lose hope. Please pray for a strengthening of my faith!

Much love,

Mary


No comments: