Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Mary Letter - Day 17


1 My heart is stirring with a noble song;
 let me recite what I have fashioned for the king; *
 my tongue shall be the pen of a skilled writer. 
2 You are the fairest of men; * 
grace flows from your lips, 
because God has blessed you for ever. 
3 Strap your sword upon your thigh, O mighty warrior, * 
in your pride and in your majesty. 
4 Ride out and conquer in the cause of truth * 
and for the sake of justice. 
5 Your right hand will show you marvelous things; * 
your arrows are very sharp, O mighty warrior. 
6 The peoples are falling at your feet, *
 and the king’s enemies are losing heart. 
7 Your throne, O God, endures for ever and ever, * 
a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of your reign; 
you love righteousness and hate iniquity. 
8 Therefore God, your God, has anointed you * 
with the oil of gladness above your fellows. 
9 All your garments are fragrant 
with myrrh, aloes, and cassia, * 
and the music of strings from ivory palaces makes you glad. Psalm 45

Dear Elizabeth,

I am truly anxious about the days ahead. It seems as we will be traveling very soon. The census worker was here and said we had to register before the end of the year, and that the lines are very long where we are going. He looked at my swollen belly and had a great laugh. He said "good luck getting all the way to Bethlehem with her!"  Then the wise women came for another exam. It turns out they had said nothing to anyone. They kept their promise. And they too are certain that the baby is coming sooner than originally calculated. They didn't explain how they knew, they just said to be prepared. A cousin who came to our simply ceremony told everyone our business when he was drunk last week some time. It spread like wild fire. Now Papa and Joseph are making final plans and are anxious to get us safely out of here.

Mama and I have made some baby clothes together and yesterday she taught me how to make diapers. She laughed when I told her I would only need a few. I am horrified to hear that I will need a dozen or more a day when the baby is brand new! How do you manage all of this Elizabeth? I wish I could come and live with you while Joseph travels. You could teach me so much and we could muddle through together! Keep us in your prayers, please, as you are in mine.

Much love,

Mary

No comments: