Monday, December 14, 2020

Mary Letter - Day 16


1 Happy are they who consider the poor and needy! * 
the LORD will deliver them in the time of trouble. 
2 The LORD preserves them and keeps them alive, 
so that they may be happy in the land; * 
the LORD does not hand them over to the will of their enemies. 
3 The LORD sustains them on their sickbed * 
and ministers to them in their illness.
4 I said, “LORD, be merciful to me; * 
heal me, for I have sinned against you.” 5
My enemies are saying wicked things about me: * 
asking when I will die, and when my name will perish. 
6 Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words; * 
their heart collects false rumors;
they go outside and spread them. 
7 All my enemies whisper together about me * 
and devise evil against me. 
8 They say a deadly thing has fastened on me; * 
that I have taken to my bed and will never get up again. 
9 Even my best friend, whom I trusted, who broke bread with me, * 
has scorned me and turned against me. 
10 But you, O LORD, be merciful to me and raise me up, * 
and I shall repay them. 
11 By this I know you are pleased with me, * 
that my enemy does not triumph over me. 
12 In my integrity you hold me fast, *
 and shall set me before your face for ever. 
13 Blessed be the LORD God of Israel * 
from age to age. Amen. Amen. Psalm 41

Dearest Elizabeth,

These last few days have been very hard. The people of our village gathered the other night to stand outside and call for me to be stoned! They called me all sorts of names and threatened Joseph as well. Mama was crying and that broke my heart. They say I am blasphemer and a prostitute, bringing shame on my whole family and community! Nothing is further from the truth but they can't see it. They enjoy destroying others too much. I wish I could disappear and not put my family through this. Papa and Joseph finally went outside and made them go away. They were much more cowardly than their chants suggested.

I have been reading the Psalms, as you suggested. The Psalmist, whether King David or others, often complains bitterly to God. They don't hold back and tell Yahweh all their hurts and anger. I love it. as it rings true deep in my soul. I know the pain of being accused and being innocent all too well. Joseph and I have been reading the Psalms to each other at night. Sometimes I can't help but laugh out loud when the words seem to capture our situation! We say our prayers together and often sing our favorite hymns for comfort. Joseph has been so understanding of my many moods and lifts me up when my spirits flag. How blessed I am to have him beside me.

The plans continue in earnest for our trip to Bethlehem. We have to be so careful now, and will be traveling, at least for the first stage, under the cover of darkness. Thank God it is winter and the sun goes down early enough for us to cover some distance. They are all concerned for my health and the baby's, so Joseph is trying to find a suitable animal that I can ride on when needed. Please pray for us. I never expected this to be so hard.

love,

Mary

No comments: