Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Mary Letter - Day 10


Vindicate me, O Lord, for I have walked in my integrity,
 and I have trusted in the Lord without wavering.
 Prove me, O Lord, and try me;
 test my heart and mind.
 For your steadfast love is before my eyes, 
and I walk in faithfulness to you. 
I do not sit with the worthless, 
nor do I consort with hypocrites; 
I hate the company of evildoers, 
and will not sit with the wicked. 
I wash my hands in innocence, 
and go around your altar, O Lord, 
singing aloud a song of thanksgiving, 
and telling all your wondrous deeds. 
O Lord, I love the house in which you dwell, 
and the place where your glory abides. 
Do not sweep me away with sinners, 
nor my life with the bloodthirsty, 
those in whose hands are evil devices, 
and whose right hands are full of bribes. 
But as for me, I walk in my integrity; 
redeem me, and be gracious to me. 
My foot stands on level ground; 
in the great congregation I will bless the Lord. Psalm 26

Dear Auntie,

The last few days have been very unsettling. I came home from your house with such peace and deep faith but it has been shattered in the last few days. The first thing that happened seemed frivolous. Several girls were walking by our home and saw me in the garden. I am definitely showing now. They started to call me names and taunt. Girls I had known all of my life! Mama heard the commotion and ran out. She scolded them and sent them away. I was rattled but she helped me realize it was immature cruelty. Then last night, we were abruptly woken up by stones hitting our house. Papa rushed outside to see who it was, but they all ran away into the deep darkness. We were all shook up then. Mama made us tea, and we sat in the kitchen and talked. I finally slept, but not well.

Papa has called Joseph over and they had a long and serious discussion. It was decided that we wouldn't wait for the scheduled wedding, but have it in the next few days. Then, Joseph would move in here with us. I am to stay inside at all times. If I go into the garden, it must be at night and never alone. They are afraid, someone will try to stone me. They guess I have been declared a sinner with no redemption. They want to kill me! 

I have been reading the psalms, as you taught me, to help calm my spirit. I knew saying yes to God was going to be challenging. But this savage cruelty is heartbreaking. People who are neighbors have turned on us. Please, Elizabeth, pray for me. And I am praying for you as your time is so very near. Hold on to to the hope. We both must!

love,

Mary

No comments: