Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Mary Letter - Day 5


Some Sadducees, those who say there is no resurrection, came to him and asked him a question, ‘Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies, leaving a wife but no children, the man shall marry the widow and raise up children for his brother. Now there were seven brothers; the first married, and died childless; then the second and the third married her, and so in the same way all seven died childless. Finally the woman also died. In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife will the woman be? For the seven had married her.’ Jesus said to them, ‘Those who belong to this age marry and are given in marriage; but those who are considered worthy of a place in that age and in the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. Indeed they cannot die any more, because they are like angels and are children of God, being children of the resurrection. And the fact that the dead are raised Moses himself showed, in the story about the bush, where he speaks of the Lord as the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Now he is God not of the dead, but of the living; for to him all of them are alive.’ Then some of the scribes answered, ‘Teacher, you have spoken well.’ For they no longer dared to ask him another question. Luke 20:27-40

Dear Auntie Elizabeth,

It has become very apparent, in these last few days, that we will be getting married privately, without any celebration. I know I shouldn't be disappointed, but honestly, I am. I didn't ask to be in this condition! I really wanted a celebration and thought it would be several years away. Now, I'm going to be married at home with only a few people present. And, Papa has to get a Rabbi from another village. Our Rabbi, although he is kind and supportive, is afraid of his leadership. Men talk about bravery but they don't often live it.

Mama is making the best of it by sewing a lovely, simple gown. She is also planning to cook up a storm and we spend time talking over the menu. She keeps saying that the dress will have to be loose so that no matter how big I cam at the time of the ceremony, I will fit in! That made us both laugh. I don't have too much of a belly yet, but I am so much thicker than I have ever been. And, I have no balance at all! I use to be able walk lightly and quietly. Now I lumber around like an old ox! 

Papa is talking about having me come and visit with you for a while. I would love to get out of here, even for a few days. I don't want to be a burden but I sure need a change of scenery. Being inside so much and not seeing my friends is so hard. My old friend Rebecca stopped by the other day, which was nice, but awkward. She really came to verify the gossip she had heard. I didn't tell her anything, just that I hadn't been feeling well. Really! The nerve!

Sending so much love,

Mary

No comments: