Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Mary Letter - Day 11


Arise, shine, for your light has come, 
* and the glory of the Lord has dawned upon you. 
For behold, darkness covers the land; 
* deep gloom enshrouds the peoples. 
But over you the Lord will rise, 
* and his glory will appear upon you. 
Nations will stream to your light, 
* and kings to the brightness of your dawning. 
Your gates will always be open; 
* by day or night they will never be shut. 
They will call you, The City of the Lord, 
* The Zion of the Holy One of Israel. 
Violence will no more be heard in your land, 
* ruin or destruction within your borders. 
You will call your walls, Salvation, 
* and all your portals, Praise. 
The sun will no more be your light by day; 
* by night you will not need the brightness of the moon. 
The Lord will be your everlasting light, 
* and your God will be your glory. Isaiah 60:1-3, 11a, 14c, 18-19


Dear Elizabeth,

We are married! It was not the day I dreamed of, surely not as we might have wanted, but it was sweet none the less. The rabbi came from a distance, and it was just Mama, Papa and a few local cousins. We were quite a quiet lot, as we have to be very careful now. It seems as some here believe us to be evil sinners. We shared our vows, the prayers and blessings said and then we celebrated. Despite it all there was joy and laughter within our walls. The food Mama had prepared was delightful and we felt loved and honored. The cousins brought lovely gifts for us and some for the baby! How thoughtful and loving they are.

Much discussion happened before the Rabbi arrived. Joseph has come to live with us, both as husband and also for added protection. For the child's safety, we will not share a bed until after I am delivered. I am releived, somewhat, as I was not prepared to be with child, let alone be intimate with a man. I thought I had several more years. Joseph is so kind and respectful. He holds me close and is so tender, but makes no demands upon me. He is so shy. I was so afraid he would be disappointed in me but instead, he has been strong for the both of us. Despite all that we face, I now know we can face this together. Papa's hope is that they will leave us alone, now that they hear we are married. I don't have the same hope. People have a hard time letting go of anger and cruelty. 

I sign off now as a married woman, although I am not sure I am normal anything! Please send word when the child arrives. I pray for you every moment.

love,

Mary


No comments: