Saturday, December 12, 2020

Mary Letter - Day 14


1 I will exalt you, O LORD, because you have lifted me up *
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me. 
2 O LORD my God, I cried out to you, * 
and you restored me to health. 
3 You brought me up, O LORD, from the dead; * 
you restored my life as I was going down to the grave. 
4 Sing to the LORD, you faithful servants; * 
give thanks for the remembrance of God’s holiness. 
5 For God’s wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye, * 
God’s favor for a lifetime. 
6 Weeping may spend the night, * 
but joy comes in the morning. 
7 While I felt secure, I said, “I shall never be disturbed. *
 You, LORD, with your favor, made me as strong as the mountains.” 
8 Then you hid your face, * 
and I was filled with fear. 
9 I cried to you, O LORD; * 
I pleaded with the Lord, saying, 
10 “What profit is there in my blood, if I go down to the Pit? *
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness? 
11 Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me; * 
O LORD, be my helper.” 
12 You have turned my wailing into dancing; * 
you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy. 
13 Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing; * 
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks for ever. Psalm 30


Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for writing back to me and all your encouraging words. I read your letter over and over again. I could hear your voice saying those things to me and I felt close to you. Thank you for telling me which Psalms to recite. I do wish you could have been with me today! The wise woman came and did their examination.

It was quite an embarrassing and revealing episode. There were three of them and they were very straight forward in their exam. Mama stayed with me and help my had, reassuring me that they were there for my safety and she had been through all of this as well. Some of them are old enough to have attended my birth! I was grateful to have been with you during your exam. What was different for me was their surprise. "She has not been with a man!" Sarah, the elder, exclaimed! They all leaned in then, which was terribly uncomfortable and embarrassing! Mama told them to be quiet, that it was important to keep me safe. They were still bubbling over and talking loudly as they left. I don't imagine the news will be kept quiet. Mama fears there will be more trouble for me, not less. 

Joseph and Papa have been making plans and pouring over maps for our journey. They are trying to find ways for us to travel safely and stay with family on the way. Easier said than done since there are so many folks on the roads due to the census rules. They think we can comfortably get to Bethlehem and back, long before I am to be delivered. I will send you final details when we know them.

Sending love to you and your "boys" !

Mary

No comments: